WIC Texas is a special supplemental nutrition program that supports pregnant women and children up to 5 years old totally free.
This help program is about nutrition for the mother and child.
In this post I am gonna tell you about this help program from de goberment of United States and how you can apply.
Para español aquí
WIC Program – WIC Texas
Wic is a program that you can find in any city of United States.
Each state has its own regulations and adds more benefits to complement this program according to the needs of its population.
What is wic nutrition program?
WIC is a special supplemental nutrition program for low-income people who help pregnant women, postpartum women, infants and children up to 5 years of age.
This program provides a set amount of free monthly food needed to keep your body healthy with the minium nutrients needed for pregnancy, postpartum and healthy child growth.
These foods are pre-loaded in the WIC card on time at month.
With which the beneficiary or authorized person is directed to any of the premises taht accept the WIC card to pick up the products for the month accoring to their preference.
Who can apply in WIC Texas?
The Texas WIC program applies to:
- Pregnant women.
- Women who breastfed a baby under 1 year.
- Women who have had a beby in the last 6 months.
- Parents, stepparents, guardians or custodians of children under 5 years.
- Children under 5 years.
It is important to know that its not imperative to be married to become a WIC nutrition program.
Dads who are raising a children under the age of 5 may also enroll children in the WIC program, attend nutrition classes and recive benefits for their child.
Active parental involvement is important ofr the healthy development of children.
Other requeriments to participe in the Texas WIC program
In addition to the participation requirements mentioned above you must also comply with the following:
- Comply with the maximum income limit. Your household income should be less than 185% of the poverty level. More information here
- Be at nutritional risk. At the start of the Texas WIC program you are given an evaluation that checks two categories of nutritional risk: medical risk such as iron deficiency anemia, poor medical outcomes during pregnancy and low weight. The second risk is dietary problems caused by poor nutritional and health habits.
- Living in Texas. You don´t need to be a US citizen to participate. Just living in any county of Texas is enough.
- You must make the request in person with some exceptions.
Who provides WIC Texas services?
The Texas Department of Health Services is responsible for administering the WIC Texas program by providing the necessary funds to local WIC agencies throughout the state.
In the state of Texas there are more than 300 WIC offices working full time and more than 200 satellite offices working part time.
Many of these work on extended hours including saturdays for people who do not want to miss work by attending the Texas WIC appointment.
Where are the WIC clinics in my area?
If you would like o find a WIC clinic near your address you can access the Texas Health Locater by clicking here.
There you can choose the office that suits you according to your location or bus route.
How to apply for WIC program?
If you are a pregnant woman, you feed a baby under one year old, you had a baby in the last 6 monhs or you have a child under 5 years old you can participate in the Texas WIC program by following these steps:
- Call WIC Phone number 1 800 WIC FORU or 1 800 942 3678 Monday to Friday from 8 am to 5 pm to get the address of the nearest WIC clinic where you live or sarch the Health Locator of Texas here.
- After having the telephone number of the WIC clinic near where you live, call to make an appointment based on the availability of the WIC clinic.
- Attend appointment with the following documents:
- Documentation that shows the income of people living in your household, such as check stubs, tax returns, social security check, among others. If the applicant receives Texas Medicaid, TANF or Texas food stamps automatically meets the required income so taht with record keeping receiving any of these benefits is sufficient to demonstrate income.
- Letter that shows your address of residence, receipt of some service, receipt of rent, etc.
- Any ID of the beneficiary. Can be driver license, passport, student card.
- If you are a child you must bring the vaccination card.
- During the appointment you will be given a simple medical checkup that includes weight, height, and iron measurement to make a medical history to assess your nutritional risk.
- After compeltion of the evaluation, appropriate nutritional advice will be given.
- They will then deliver the WIC card with the product loaded being indicated by the staff of the WIC clinic that holds for each month approved.
WIC classes online Houston Texas Classes Online
For keep the benefit in Texas WIC you must do the WIC Texas classes online, this can be at the classroom or online classes.
Wic Texas classes online program can be taken online through the link https://texaswic.dshs.state.tx.us/wiclessons/splash/ for you wic class
There you select the wic class you want to take, it is super simple and interactive.
After complete my wic class you are given a certificate which you can print, photograph with your phone or note the certificate number to deliver to the attendant who attends you on your next visit to the wic clinic that corresponds to attend.